Page Lake, Susquehanna County Pennsylvania
Pictures from Pre 1940, Postcards from 1907, 1910 & 1911 --- PLACE MOUSE ON SCROLL AREA TO SLOW OR STOP SCROLLING ---

History of Page Lake

The following taken from "The History of New Milford"

Our thanks to Bill Wynnyk for supplying this information.

Page's Pond, also known as Corse's Pond and Lake Page is the largest body of water in the township. Before the dam was built the side of this pond was a vast beaver meadow covered with high, wild grass. Wild swamp grass was the only hay the early settler had on which to winter his livestock. Leonard Corse who was the original settler in the Lakeside area built the first dam about 1820. This first dam was of logs and was used to power a sawmill. The pond was then known as Corse's Pond. In 1830 Corse built a much larger dam and early writings indicate that this dam backed up a body of water nearly two miles long.

In 1855, the dam, after heavy spring rains, broke and flooded the Salt Lick Valley all the way to the Susquehanna River. An enormous amount of debris was carried on the crest of the flood and the dams and bridges in its path were swept away. Stockers History, written thirty-two years after the earliest flood in New Milford on record, told the exciting details in this way:

"In June 1855, an enormous rain storm occurred and the great pond being already hard pressed, the dam suddenly burst asunder. The accumulated waters rushed down the valley with a frightful roar, carrying destruction in its train. Pouring into the large pond below owned by Rice and Williams (2004 - Stump Pond), it swept that away with it, piling up acres of logs and driftwood along its path, increasing its force and power by further addition of the pond where Moore's Mills now are, and sweeping away every bridge on its course, descended upon the slumbering village of New Milford. A swift runner had, however, gone before it and warned the inhabitants of the approaching flood in time for them to prepare for the danger. . . the inhabitants were suddenly aroused from their beds by the startling news that Page's Pond had burst loose and was coming down upon them in an angry, turbulent flood that nothing could withstand."

"Hurrying to places of safety, the excited people awaited the oncoming torrent with anxiety and consternation. Soon an ominous roaring was heard approaching and then the creek began to rise, spread out and overflow its diminutive banks. In a few minutes the creek assumed the appearance of a great river, bearing along snags of logs and trees upon its foaming bosom. The street became swift rolling rivers covered with floating sticks, barrels, boxes, rails and debris, and the picture presented was that of a town half submerged in an agitated lake."

"The railroad track was badly damaged and near the depot, where the broad current was strongest, an old floating tree burst in the door of a building and passed completely through by means of another door on the opposite side. Cellars were filled and much damage was done on the lower floors of dwellings, as well as gardens, yards, streets and sidewalks. For a time it seemed as though the entire town would be swept away. No lives were lost, but had it not been for the timely warning, there is no telling what might have been the result. It left its mark on the surface in the shape of deep gullies and unsightly heaps of stone and gravel, seams and scars along its course that required months of labor and years of time to obliterate."

The dam was rebuilt and the mill put back into operation. The dam was rebuilt much smaller, and since that time, the dam and the pond have not been as large as they were at the time of the flood.

When the pond was drained for repairs to the dam, in 1870, tons of fish were left stranded. The pond always has been known for its excellent fishing. Its bottom of deep mud is ideal for fish propagation and for supporting vegetative fish food. Even today, despite its overpopulation of fishermen and cottage, it is a very popular fishing spot.

In 1882 Archibald Hill bought the pond and mill. About 1886 the pond was drained with the intention of converting its area to farmland. Four or so acres of its area were cropped for a short period and then again the pond was flooded. In 1901 Doctor A. E. Snyder purchased the pond, from the Archibald Hill Estate, for $500.00. The pond and property was deeded to the New Milford Power and Light Company in 1904 and used as a reserve supply to supplement Moon's Pond.

In 1922 it was deeded to the Lakeside Outing Club for $750.

Hill View Website Design & Hosting     Elk Mtn Area Directory - dining, lodging, events & more